Sunday, November 13, 2011

Great Phone App!!


A few days ago I was looking for a more "user friendly" Bible app for my phone and I found a great one! Its called YouVersion, and in the last few days it has already encouraged me to read my Bible a lot more!

I've wanted to read the Bible all the way through for a long time.  I think from some of my earlier posts it should be clear that I have a little problem with self-discipline, so though I have started reading many times, I've never gotten very far, or stayed very consistent with reading.  I'm really hoping that this program will change that, and so far so good.  You can read the Bible in all the major translations, multiple languages, and search easily for specific passages.  There are also a plethora of different "reading plans" so if you want to read the whole Bible, certain passages of the Bible, or certain topics in the Bible there is a plan for the amount of time you are looking for.  I signed up for the OwnIt365 plan, which breaks down reading into 5 chapters of the Bible, six days a week for a year.  It gives me 2-3 Old Testament chapters, and 2-3 chapters from the New Testament, or a Wisdom book each day.  I set my settings so I get a reminder each day to do my reading, and after I've completed the reading for the day, it shows how much of the reading plan I've finished.  There is also a button in case you miss a day or two, it can adjust the plan so you don't have to worry about trying to catch up. I think this will be helpful because when I've tried to "catch up" on reading plans in the past I never end up following through because the doubled up reading is too much.

Even if you don't have a smart phone, you can still use the online website (www.youversion.com), which has all the same features. If you do use the smart phone app, it syncs with the website so you can access your information online as well.  The website claims you can follow friends, and see any notes they have written about certain passages, so you can read with someone or just be more accountable with other people seeing how far you have gotten in your reading plan.  I haven't figured out how to add friends yet, so if anyone else does, let me know and add me(my username is Bekahdance)!

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this new Bible app on my phone! I really hope it will continue to help me with my goals to increase my Bible reading, and I hope it can help some of you too! Any of you have anything that has helped motivate you to read your Bible more? I'd love to know because this is something I would really like to improve on!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a neat app. I have had the same issues with "reading programs" in the past. I get behind and can't catch up so get discouraged. It sounds like you are doing a great job. One thing I realized is that this is the fuel I need more than anything else. If I am out of fuel...I can't be of any use...to anyone. After many years of trying to conform to the rest of the world around me, I have realized that I am a giver. If I am on empty, I have nothing left to give others. Giving is what motivates me the most in my life and without a regular dose of the word, I forget what giving is all about. Not that I read every day mind you. Things just come up and always will. But I have that constant emptyness that nothing else can fill, not even my husband or my children. It just took me way to long to figure that out! Praying for you. Maybe you will be smarter than I was. (-:

    ReplyDelete